Home / Personal / Homeowners and Dwelling

Homeowners and Dwelling

Water damage claims are the fastest growing cause of loss on homeowners insurance policies

As homes are most likely the biggest purchase in your clients’ lives, it is important that they have the right protection for their property and personal belongings. With risks ranging from theft, to damages, to bodily injuries on personal property, it is important that your client is covered.

Burns & Wilcox, a leader wholesale insurance, provides access to a variety of Homeowners Coverage. Whether the house you own is large or small, occupied or vacant, we can provide access to the specific coverage your clients need.

Condominium Unit

The advantage of owning a condo is that you become a shareholder in a property from which you “share” access to common areas. However, this benefit does not come without risk. Although condominium associations carry insurance policies, they typically only cover items that are part of the building, including the common areas, parking lots, and swimming pool. Condo owners can also be held personally liable for injuries to visitors or for damage accidentally caused to other property including their neighbors. In addition, your clients need to ensure that their personal possessions in the condo are protected.

Burns & Wilcox can provide access to Condominium Unit Coverage which is required to protect your client’s personal property and any parts of their unit that aren’t covered by the condo association’s insurance policy. As a leader in providing excess and specialty insurance, we can provide you access to coverage for owner-occupied, tenant occupied and rented condominium units. Combined with our outstanding expertise and service, Burns & Wilcox is the only personal insurance wholesaler you need.

Course of Construction

The risk of property damage while you’re a home is under construction is a significant concern for property owners. Damage can result in severe, unexpected costs which can delay the building process or halt it entirely. Course of Construction insurance (often referred to as “Builder’s Risk”) provides a specialized form of insurance designed to insure against repair or replacement costs while construction is underway and, in some cases, for a specified period afterwards.

Course of Construction Coverage through Burns & Wilcox can cover your clients’ personal property while under construction, as well as property at off-site storage locations and in transit. As a leading provider of wholesale insurance, the experienced professionals at Burns & Wilcox can deliver insurance solutions that meet the unique needs of your clients.

Difference in Conditions (DIC)

An All-risk policy can exclude certain perils that your client may need covered. For example, floods are excluded from a homeowners policy. However, if your client lives in a flood zone, they will encounter different conditions and require supplemental coverage. Having the right add-on coverage can help meet the unique needs of your clients related to these conditions.

Burns & Wilcox offers Difference in Conditions (DIC) Coverage as an extension to an all-risk policy which adds perils that are typically excluded. As each DIC policy is unique, it is important that you work with professionals who understand how to obtain policies that properly supplement your clients’ existing coverage. We can arrange for the customized insurance policies for each of your clients’ unique needs. Coupled with our extremely fast submission response time and low minimum premiums, Burns & Wilcox is one of the leading providers for excess and specialty insurance.



When an earthquake hits, most people understand that damage to their property is a possibility. However, many people assume that their homeowners insurance will cover the cost of damages, which isn’t always the case. A specially-designed stand-alone earthquake policy ensures that your client is protected from the financial fallout of an earthquake.

Earthquake Coverage through Burns & Wilcox can protect your clients’ property and personal belongings after an earthquake hits, including landslide coverage and difference in conditions. As a leading provider of wholesale insurance, the experienced professionals at Burns & Wilcox can deliver insurance solutions that meet the unique needs of your clients.


Canada Renters

Renters Coverage through Burns & Wilcox

Coverage for your clients who rent property

Renting a home, condo or apartment is often easier and less costly than owning a property. Renters are not required to take out a mortgage, pay for property maintenance or purchase homeowners insurance. However, the landlord’s insurance policy generally only covers the actual house, apartment or condo, leaving the tenant’s personal property and personal liability exposed to insurance risks.  Obtaining Renters  Coverage, often referred to as a Tenants Policy, can help mitigate the costs of replacing or repairing your client’s personal belongings, such as televisions, jewelry, computers and furniture. It will also provide liability coverage in the event they are found negligent, liable or presented with a lawsuit.

Burns & Wilcox can provide access to Renters Coverage which provides specialized coverage for a broad range of tenant occupied apartments, condominiums, and homes. As a leading provider of wholesale insurance, the experienced professionals at Burns & Wilcox can deliver insurance solutions that provide both peace of mind and security.



Hard-to-Place Homeowners

Burns & Wilcox provides Hard-to-Place Homeowners Coverage targeted for properties that are not properly serviced by the standard insurance market. Contact your nearest Burns & Wilcox office today to ensure your client’s specific needs are being met.

Coverage Details and Features


  • Single family dwellings, condo’s duplexes and triplexes
  • Seasonal and secondary homes
  • Tenant and Short term Rental Occupied dwellings
  • Farms and Ranches
  • Homes in brush, coastal areas, and earthquake zones
  • Homes located in protection class 9­-10
  • Named insured’s can be trusts, estates, LLC’s or corporations
  • Private lenders
  • Guaranteed replacement cost on High Value Homes


  • $1 million liability limit
  • Medical Payment Coverage Available
  • Includes replacement cost for contents
  • Coverage for all perils available
  • Discounts for central station fire/burglar alarms
  • Green Endorsements
  • Personal Injury and Identity Fraud Coverage Available
  • Can package Schedule Personal Property on Owner occupied homes

Target Classes

(including but not limited to)

  • Homeowners
  • Homes with minor maintainance issues
  • Homeowners with financial instability
  • Homes with poor claim history
  • Homes under construction
  • Unsupported secondary homes
  • Cottages and Seasonal Homes
  • Homes located in protection class 9-10
  • Homes in brush
  • Homes in earthquake zones
  • Claims frequency
  • Lower value
  • Claims Examples
  • Course of Construction
  • Vacant Dwellings

Ask an Expert

When should an agent or broker recommend a dwelling fire policy to a client?
Dwelling fire policies are designed for properties that are tenant-occupied, vacant or under construction, including rental and seasonal homes. Since vacant and seasonal properties are not under constant supervision, they are inherently more susceptible to greater losses, like acts of vandalism or broken pipes, and a dwelling fire policy helps supplement the increased risk.
What does dwelling fire insurance cover?
Despite its name, dwelling fire coverage is not limited to fire protection. And unlike homeowners insurance, which is offered as a package, dwelling fire policies are offered a la carte-style, so an agent can help clients customize and tailor coverage to their specific needs. Dwelling fire policies cover losses related to perils like fire, smoke damage, hail, wind and vandalism. We most often receive inquiries on behalf of landlords, owners of property under construction or renovation and seasonal homeowners.
What are some key considerations for an agent selling a dwelling fire policy to a client?
It’s important for agents to check in regularly with clients on the status of their properties to see if circumstances have changed that would call for dwelling fire coverage. For example, if a client moves from Toronto to Ottawa and their former house is still on the market, they would need to insure it through a dwelling fire policy because homeowners insurance may no longer cover the vacant property. Dwelling fire policies also do not include the guaranteed replacement cost clause that is part of many homeowners insurance policies. So, in the event of a total loss, the cost of a new home may not be fully covered.

At Burns & Wilcox our expertise becomes your expertise. Our marketing materials are designed to help you give your clients what they want to hear – yes to almost any hard-to-place-risk.

Applications for this product may vary. Please click below to find the office nearest to you for assistance.

Office Locations