Home / Personal / Vacant Dwelling

Vacant Dwelling

1.34 million, or 8.6 percent, of Canada’s homes are currently vacant. This number has been steadily increasing for nearly 20 years. Vacant dwellings face unique exposures that can lead to significant losses for property owners.

Location can drastically affect a property’s risk exposure. Colder climates give rise to water damage claims, as frozen pipes can burst, while wooded areas bring fire hazards. Wildland fires burned 2.9 million hectares nationwide in 2017, showing an 18 percent spike from the previous 10-year average. These risks require coverage from outside of the standard market.

Vacant Dwelling Coverage can be customized to limit your clients’ property exposures, whether they are moving or the home is between tenants, undergoing renovations, or part of an estate.

Coverage Details and Features

  • Property and Premises Liability Coverage available
  • Industry accepted ISO dwelling fire forms, liability, and commercial forms available
  • 3, 6, 9, and 12 month policies available
  • Rehab and renovation projects eligible
  • High-value homes starting at $750,000
  • Sewer Backup Coverage may be available on eligible risks

At Burns & Wilcox our expertise becomes your expertise. Our marketing materials are designed to help you give your clients what they want to hear – yes to almost any hard-to-place-risk.

Vacant Dwelling: Applications

Please choose the application that best fits your needs.

If you need additional assistance please contact your local office.

Office Locations